This lovely Swedish fish soup with saffron gets its brilliant sunny yellow color and delicious flavor from saffron, garlic and tomato paste. This soup is something in between a soup and a stew. It is hearty and filling with salmon, cod, prawns and mussels. Don’t let the long ingredient list put you off. The majority of ingredients are usually found in our pantry.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Enjoy this Swedish saffron* fish soup with a dollop of mayonnaise Aioli, garlic croutons and fresh bread.
Fish stock cube
Fish stock cube* is hard to find in some countries. You can replace the fish stock with vegetable stock cubes. But you can also make your own fish stock by taking the skin and bones from the fish, the shell from the prawns and 1 tbsp of juice from the canned mussels (if using canned mussels) and bring to a boil with a little water (250 ml /1 cup). Let it boil until half of the water is reduced. Then strain and use the broth in the soup.
Mayonnaise Aioli is super easy to make. It can be done in 2 different ways.
1. Mix mayonnaise and pressed garlic and it’s ready.
2. Make it from scratch
Keep in mind that all the ingredients are at the same temperature and to mix these in a tall, narrow bowl.
- Peel and grate the garlic finely.
- Then pour the oil into a tall and narrow bowl and add the garlic, mustard, vinegar, salt and eggs yolks.
- Finally place a stick mixer* in the bottom of the bowl. Start the mixer and lift slowly towards the surface.
- Season with black pepper and possibly with salt and vinegar.
I usually make my croutons in the air fryer because they get really crispy in just 5 minutes
- Slice the bread into cubes and then transfer to a bowl
- Drizzle some olive oil and season with some garlic powder and salt.
- Finally spread the bread in a single layer and bake at 180° C (356 F) for 5 minutes in the air fryer.
- Or spread the bread on a baking sheet and bake at 190° C (375˚F) for 18-20 minutes until they are golden brown and crunchy.
If you liked Swedish Fish Soup with Saffron, you may also like: