Swedish chocolate ball deluxe – Delicato ball is a beloved classic on the Swedish Fika table.
Almost every Swede has eaten or prepared regular chocolate balls at some point. For many Swedish parents, it’s common to introduce children to baking and kneading the dough together and then rolling it into balls.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Delicato ball is similar to the regular Swedish chocolate ball, but more fancy. Delicato is the largest pastry bakery producer in the Nordic countries. This recipe is a copy of Delicato’s Chocolate ball.
The regular Swedish Chocolate ball have a smoother chocolate flavor while the Delicato ball give you a more distinct mocha and coconut flavor. I prefer to make the Delicato ball small, and you know the rule… If they are small, you can take two!
Unrefined coconut oil* is usually labeled as “virgin” or “pure,” has a tropical coconut flavour and aroma because it’s made from cold-pressed fresh coconut meat.
Refined coconut oil is neutral. It has no distinct coconut flavor or aroma. This is because it’s made from coconut meat that has been filtered and dried before being pressed into oil.
I always use organic unrefined coconut oil because I love the flavour it gives, but you can use organic refined coconut oil if you prefer that. Make sure the coconut oil is at room temperature, but not liquid. If it’s warm at home and the oil has melted, you can put the coconut oil in the refrigerator so that it hardens a little.
This is how we make Swedish Chocolate ball deluxe – Delicato ball
- Mix the oatmeal to a fine powder in a food processor or blender*. Add freshly brewed coffee or espresso. I prefer espresso for a stronger coffee flavour. Pour the coffee into the oatmeal powder. It doesn’t matter if the coffee is hot. And mix again.
- Using an electrical hand mixer whisk coconut oil, butter and icing sugar white and fluffy.
- Quickly whisk in the oatmeal mix and vanilla extract.
- Finally add the cocoa powder and mix it into the mixture
- Next pipe small chocolate balls onto a baking sheet lined tray that will go into the freezer.
- Leave the chocolate balls in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the chocolate finely and melt in a bain-Marie*.
- Put desiccated coconut (unsweetened) in a bowl.
- Take the chocolate balls out of the freezer.
- Put on disposable gloves and dip one ball at a time into some chocolate. Roll the ball between your hands so that the entire Delicato ball is covered in chocolate. You should not drown the chocolate ball with melted chocolate. The purpose of the melted chocolate is for the desiccated coconuts to stick and to get a nice result.
- Immediately place the ball in the desiccated coconut and turn around with a spoon. Here it’s great if you get the help of someone who turns the ball around in the desiccated coconut , it will be less messy.
- Keep the Delicato balls in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Take them out of the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature before serving.
You can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
If you liked the Swedish Chocolate ball deluxe – Delicato ball, you may also like: