Swedish beetroot salad – Rödbetssallad is a classic side dish with diced pickled beets and apples in a savory, creamy dressing. It’s a fabulous accompaniment to all sorts of meals.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Beetroot salad is “a must” for me on the Christmas table. In addition to Christmas, this salad is really suitable all year round as a side dish to many different dishes. Swedish beetroot salad – Rödbetssallad is not only delicious, it’s also absolutely gorgeous with its stunning pink hue.
My favorite sandwich is the Swedish Meatball sandwich. It’s beetroot salad on dark bread and some meatballs on top. If you haven’t tried it, you are truly missing out on a taste sensation.
When I make my beetroot salad I always add some chopped walnuts. I like that little extra crunch it gives. But of course you can exclude it if you want.
How to make Swedish Beetroot Salad – Rödbetssallad
- Core and peel half an apple.
- Drain the liquid from the pickled beetroot, but just make sure to save some of the liquid on the side.
- Dice the pickled beets and the apple. I prefer to use a multi-function vegetable cutter/slicer because it will dice the beets and apple quickly and evenly.
- Then finely chop a small red onion.
- In a bowl, mix mayonnaise with Crème fraiche. If you can’t get hold of Crème fraiche, you can make your own Crème fraiche or use sour cream. Then add some sugar, salt, pepper and mustard powder. Scandinavian pickled beetroot tends to be sweeter, so make sure you add a little sugar in the mayonnaise mixture to balance any sharpness.
- Add the beets, apple and onion to the mayonnaise mixture. And lastly, stir in the chopped walnuts. Stir until it is well mixed. If you want more color on the salad, just add 1 tablespoon of the liquid from the beets and stir into the salad.
Store the salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
If you liked Swedish Beetroot Salad – Rödbetssallad, you may also like: