When it comes to leafy greens, Beet Greens Salad often get overlooked. However, these vibrant and nutrient-packed greens are not only delicious but also incredibly versatile.
Beet greens are a powerhouse of nutrition, packed with essential vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin K, copper, manganese, iron, and calcium. It’s interesting to note that some of my friends in Sweden were unaware that beet greens are edible, while in Greece, it is common knowledge to enjoy these nutritious greens as part of a meal. The scarlet stems and vibrant green leaves of beet greens should not be overlooked, as they offer both flavor and health benefits.
If you haven’t experienced the delight of beet greens salad, now is the perfect opportunity to give it a try.
How to make Beet greens salad
- Rinse the beets under cold water to remove any dirt or debris.
- Place the beets in a large pot and add enough water to cover them completely.
- Place the pot on the stove-top over medium-high heat and bring the water to a boil.Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and let the beets simmer uncovered for about 25-30 minutes, depending on their size. Check for doneness by inserting a fork or skewer into the beets. They should be tender but still firm.
- Immediately transfer beets to a cold water bath to prevent additional cooking and allow them to cool faster. As soon they are cool, peel the skin right off! ( Wear plastic gloves when peeling the beets or you’ll have red hands for the rest of the day.) Give them a final rinse an enjoy your silky smooth perfect boiled beets.
- Often on the greens there is a lot of sandy, grainy dirt on the steam and leaves and you want to get rid of that. To do this, simply place the greens in a colander and thoroughly rinse them.
- Cut the stems and leave into 5 cm pieces.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add the beet greens and allow the water to return to a boil over high heat. Stir the greens and then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Let the greens cook uncovered for approximately 10 minutes, or until they reach a tender yet slightly firm texture (aldente) when pierced with a fork.
- Drain in a colander.
In a serving bowl, dress the cooked beet greens with extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of salt, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and optional feta crumbles. Enjoy the vibrant flavors of this simple and delicious beet greens salad!
If you liked Beet greens salad, you may also like: