This is a Swedish basic recipe for making dough for Kanelbullar – Cinnamon rolls, Solbulle-Sun bun and Semla. If you want, you can just divide the dough into 4 parts and make 4 different kinds of fillings. It’s important that you have all our ingredients at room temperature before you begin.
- Freshly ground cardamom gives the dough a wonderful aroma and flavour. I prefer freshly ground cardamom seeds. It’s a little bit of work to separate the seeds from the pods, but ohhh… It’s so worth it. Of course you can use pre-ground cardamom. But home-ground cardamom gives a much stronger flavor than pre-ground.
- Start by separating the seeds from the pods. Then place the seeds in the mortar (bowl) and start grinding with the pestle.If you don’t have a mortar , use a wine bottle or a rolling pin and crush the seeds on a hard surface until most of it is finely ground, leave some chunky bits.
How to make Basic dough for Kanelbullar-Cinnamon rolls, Sun bun and Semla
- In a small sauce-pan warm milk with sugar and cardamon to 37°C (98.6°F). You can dip your finger into the milk to check, if it’s too hot let it cool down.
- Cut the room temperature butter into small pieces.
- Place the yeast in a large mixing bowl and pour over the milk mixture and stir until the yeast has melted. Use a stand mixer with dough hook.
- Add butter, salt and half of the flour into the mixture.
- Mix until combined and then add the rest of the flour.
- Knead well so that the dough becomes smooth and don’t stick to your fingers. About 5 min with a stand mixer or 10-12 min by hand.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to rise until double in bulk (for about an hour).
- Now decide what you want to do with the dough. Cinnamon bun, Semla, Sun bun or just make round buns and enjoy them as they are.
- Cover with a towel and allow to rice again until double in size (35-40 min).
- Preheat the oven to 200° C.
- Beat the egg and brush the buns
- Bake for 10 minutes until you reach your desired level of golden brown.
- Store the buns in the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature.
The buns can also be thawed in the oven, 175°C (347°F)for 5 minutes or in the microwave for 15 seconds.
With this Basic dough you make Kanelbullar-Cinnamon rolls, Sun bun and Semla.