When I crave something sweet and healthy, my go-to is peanut butter and honey candy. I like to call it surprise candy, as it can turn out either hard and crispy or soft like toffee, depending on the type of honey I use. This gluten-free treat comes together in under 5 minutes using just two main ingredients: peanut butter and honey.
Peanut butter and honey candy is my choice when I want something sweet and healthy. I usually call it surprise-candy, because depending on what kind of honey I use it’s going to be hard and crispy or soft like toffee. You make this gluten-free treat in less than 5 minutes with only two main ingredients peanut butter and honey.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I like to add some vanilla extract and a pinch of salt, but that’s up to you. Feel free to use any nut butter you prefer, or even Tahini (sesame paste).
I love peanut butter, so I usually make these with organic crunchy peanut butter (without added salt and sugar). You can even add some extra nuts in the mixture or cover it in chocolate. The choice is yours.
Depending on the type and brand of honey you use, the result will be either hard, soft or something in between. That’s why I call it surprise candy. For the hard crispy result, I used Raw Cretan thyme honey and for the softer one, I used regular blossom honey. The rawer the honey, the harder / crunchier the result will be. Whatever you choose, the taste will be amazing.
How to make Peanut butter and honey candy
- The ratio is simple: 1 part honey to 1 part peanut butter, approximately 100 g (3.5 oz) each. You can adjust the amounts as you prefer. In this recipe, I used 3 heaping tablespoons of each honey and peanut butter.
- Bring honey to a boil in an medium non-stick saucepan. On high heat let the honey boil until it reaches 120C (248F) on a candy thermometer.
- If you don’t have a candy thermometer: When it start to boil like on the picture below, keep it boiling for another 90 seconds.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the peanut butter and vanilla extract (optional). Use a silicon rubber spatula and mix until well combined. If you want to add some extra nuts you can do so now.
- Pour the mixture into a small air-tight container, sprinkle some crystal salt flakes over the mixture (optional) and cover with a lid. Allow it to cool before placing it in the refrigerator. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- For a thinner candy, spread the mixture onto parchment paper and allow it to cool in the refrigerator.
- You can shape them and then place them in the freezer before covering them in chocolate.
- Store the candy in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you liked peanut butter and honey candy, you may also like: