Spaghetti with homemade ground beef sauce and parmesan cheese is irresistible. If you serve it with a loaf of garlic bread it’s even better. This ground beef sauce is boiled in white wine and contains spices such as bay leaves, allspice, cloves and cinnamon stick.
Spaghetti and ground beef sauce may sound like a classic Italian dish, but it is equally popular in Greece. What’s the difference between the Italian and Greek versions? The answer lies in the choice of spices and herbs—Greek meat sauce includes bay leaves , cinnamon, cloves and allspice while Italian meat sauces are more likely to include basil, oregano and/or fennel seeds.
This recipe is perfect to use if you want to cook Greek dishes such as Moussaka or Pastitsio.
I rarely add salt to my food, instead I use bouillon cubes. The bouillon cube gives me the saltiness I want and a little extra flavour. If more salt is needed, I add it when the dish is cooked. That way, I know it’s not going to be salty.
The spaghetti sauce is also perfect for make-ahead. It can be refrigerated for up to three days and stored in the freezer for about three months. When I have a little sauce left over, I love to mix it with eggs and make an omelette and sprinkle fresh grated Parmesan on top.
How to make Ground Beef Spaghetti Sauce ala Greek Style
- Heat a medium-size pot over medium heat. Add olive oil and the chopped onion. Sauté until it becomes translucent then add the grated carrot. Sauté for a minute and finally add ground beef and brown until no pink remains.
- Add wine and all the other ingredients (EXCEPT the corn starch) . As soon as it starts to boil lower the heat and let it simmer over low heat for 45 min to 1 hour.
- Give it a taste and add more salt or pepper if needed.
- In a small cup mix the corn starch with a little water and pour it into the sauce and stir until sauce thickens.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Serve your ground beef sauce with spaghetti and some fresh grated parmesan.
If you liked Ground Beef Spaghetti Sauce ala Greek Style, you may also like: