Meringue cake with lemon curd cream and berries is a fresh, airy cake that is not only beautiful to look at, but also tastes heavenly. Two layers of crispy chocolate meringue, fluffy lemon curd flavoured cream and fresh berries. The meringue can be prepared the day before and then just whip the cream and decorate with berries. With this beautiful and delicious cake, you are guaranteed to impress your guests.
Making meringue is actually quite easy. Just make sure all utensils are clean and dry.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Draw 2 rectangles 18 x 30 cm.
- Make sure to separate the yolk from the egg white without breaking the yolk. If you get the slightest drop of yolk in the egg white, you will not get a firm meringue. You can save the yolks if you want to make homemade lemon curd.
- Start by whisking the egg whites with an electric whisk until stiff, then pour in half of the sugar. Continue whisking until glossy and stiff peaks form. The mixture should be able to hold its shape in the bowl when turned up side down.
- Mix the rest of the sugar with the corn flour and continue to whisk until well combined.
- Carefully fold in the grated chocolate with a spatula.
- Fill the meringue mixture into an piping bag with a large round nozzle.
- Using your template, pipe lines until you have filled the 2 rectangles. If you have some meringue mixture left over, make some meringue drops for decoration.
- Bake for 1.5 hours at 140° C (284° F) . When the 1.5 hours is up, turn off the heat and leave it in the oven until it cools down.
- Melt the chocolate in a water bath and then brush on chocolate on the top of each rectangle. You can also sprinkle some chocolate on the meringue drops.
Lemon curd flavoured cream
You can use homemade lemon curd, which is preferable (recipe can be found here). But store bought works just fine too.
- In a bowl, pour the whipping cream with 2 teaspoons of sugar. Whisk on high speed until the cream becomes stiff. Add lemon curd and mix until well combined.
- Spread a thin layer of lemon curd over each chocolate covered meringue.
- Fill the lemon curd flavoured cream in a piping bag with a large nozzle.
- Pipe a thick layer of cream on one meringue rectangle. Top with diced strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
- Place the second meringue on top. Then cover again with cream and top with berries. Add the meringue drops and some whole strawberries and finish by dusting some icing sugar all over the cake.
If you liked Meringue Cake with Lemon Curd Cream and Berries, you may also like: