I always loved Greek Rizogalo – Rice pudding. My grandfather used to make rizogalo and it was the perfect snack after school. Creamy with a rich vanilla flavour and cinnamon. An ideal delicacy for breakfast, snack or dessert. You can enjoy it warm or cold. It is very popular in Greece and definitely one of my favorite comfort foods.
There are so many different recipes of rizogalo, some with eggs, cardamom, lemon zest or orange zest .Some are thick with plenty of rice and some with less rice and more cream. This recipe is my favorite and the one I have been making for years. I usually make a double batch because it goes so fast in our house.
In this recipe, I use cinnamon stick. I love cinnamon, and I think the cinnamon stick gives that extra flavour. But if you can’t find one, it’s okay. Just sprinkle a little extra cinnamon before serving.
When I make Greek rizogalo – rice pudding, I use Carolina rice medium grain. But you can use Arborio rice or any Glutinous rice – Sticky Rice.
I prefer to use whole milk (3,5%). And then I finish with some heavy cream /whipping cream (36%). We want this creamy, right?
I like to serve rizogalo – rice pudding in small glass jars with lid, but you can also use small bowls. Just cover with plastic wrap before letting them cool down at room temperature and then place them in the refrigerator.
How to make Greek Rizogalo – Rice Pudding
- I prefer using a large non stick cooking pot with a lid. (The non stick is optional).
- Give the rice a quick rinse.
- Just as the water start to boil, add a pinch of salt and rice. Lower the heat, put on the lid and simmer until all the water has been absorbed. About 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 3/4 of the milk with sugar, cinnamon stick and cardamon pods (optional) .
- The remaining milk (1/4), leave it cool and add the corn starch and vanilla essence. Keep the cold milk/corn starch/vanilla for later.
- When the rice have absorbed all the water, add the warm milk. Cover with a lid and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- When the 20 minutes are up add the remaining cold milk with the cornstarch and vanilla essence and the heavy cream/whipping cream. Stir until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Fill small glass jars and close the lid. Or use small bowls and cover with plastic wrap. Allow them to cool at room temperature and then place in the fridge.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.
Enjoy your Greek Rizogalo – Rice pudding warm or cold.
If you liked Greek Rizogalo – Rice Pudding, you may also like: