Experience the irresistible taste of Vanilla and Berry Crumble Bars, known for their buttery richness, fresh fruit flavors, and juicy bursts. This recipe is a personal favorite for satisfying summer treats, and the best part is how incredibly simple it is to make.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Enjoy the irresistible combination of blueberries, raspberries, and vanilla cream in these vanilla and berry crumble bars. What makes this recipe even better is its simplicity—you use the same mixture for both the crust and the topping, allowing you to relish this easy dessert all year round.
You can enjoy these bars cold or at room temperature. They taste great by themselves, but you can also add ice cream or whipped cream on top if you like.
Instant pudding and pie filling with vanilla flavor
You have the option to make your own vanilla filling / custard from scratch, but if you prefer an easier approach, I recommend using instant pudding and pie filling. These bars are simple to make, which is why I opt for the instant version.
With numerous brands of vanilla pudding and pie filling available worldwide, you can select your preferred brand. Simply follow the instructions provided on the packaging. In this recipe, you’ll need approximately two pie fillings, which requires 700 ml (26.6 fl.oz) of milk.
Prepare it effortlessly in just five minutes by mixing milk into the pudding powder. Enhance the flavor by adding a touch of extra vanilla extract. Then stir the mixture thoroughly and let it set for a few minutes.
How to make Vanilla and Berry Crumble Bars
Let’s start by making the crust.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F).
- Cut the butter into cubes. In a large food processor, combine the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well combined. (Or use your hands to quickly rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.)
- Line a 26 x 36 cm (10 x 14 inch) baking pan with parchment paper for easy removal
- Press half of the crumble mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- While the crust is baking, mix the milk into the pudding powder in a mixing bowl using a hand mixer. Add a little extra vanilla extract, stir, and let it set for a few minutes.
- Spread the vanilla / custard filling on top of the partially baked crust
- Evenly spread the blueberries and raspberries over the vanilla filling, and then sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture on top to cover well. Fresh berries are preferable to frozen ones as they tend to be less watery.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top crumbs turn golden brown.
- Allow the bars to cool completely in the baking pan.
- Finally, refrigerate the baking pan with the bars for at least 1 hour. This step is crucial to prevent the bars from breaking.
- Cut into squares and dust with icing sugar before serving.
These bars are perfect for picnics, potlucks, or family dessert nights. They can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
If you liked Vanilla and Berry Crumble Bars, you may also like: