Homemade Toffee bits are so easy and quick to make. Sprinkle them on top of ice cream, incorporate them into cookies or brownies, or even add them to your morning pancakes or muffins for a delightful crunch. They also make a fantastic gift when packaged in a decorative jar or tin. You make them in less than 15 minutes with just 3 ingredients.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
How to make Homemade Toffee Bits
- Line a plate with parchment paper. You must have it ready, because when the toffee is ready, you need to remove it from the saucepan immediately.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and then add the sugar and salt.
- Whisk continuously! Sometimes the toffee separates and / and crumbles, but if you continue to whisk vigorously, it mixes again and you get a smooth mixture that looks like peanut butter. If you use a candy thermometer*, it should show 150°C (300°F). This takes about 6 minutes.
- Sometimes separated toffee or caramel can be saved by removing the saucepan from the heat and whisk vigorously until it comes back together into a smooth mixture.
- Just be careful not to burn it! You don’t want it to turn dark. If you cook it for too long, it will burn and become bitter. But if you do it right, you get dark golden toffee with a buttery and nutty flavor.
- Sometimes it is better to remove it from the heat a little early, just make sure it reaches 150 C (300 F) with a candy thermometer. This will ensure that it hardens when cooled.
- Pour the toffee onto the prepared baking sheet, allowing it to spread.
- Let cool for about 20-25 minutes.
- When its completely cold and hard. Break it into pieces and put it in an electric chopper*. Press the button 2-3 times until you are happy with the size of your toffee bits.
To ensure freshness, store your homemade toffee bits in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks. If you live in a humid climate, it’s best to store them in the refrigerator to maintain their crisp texture.
If you liked Homemade Toffee Bits, you may also like: