Caramel sauce is a delightful treat that adds a touch of sweetness to a variety of desserts and beverages. While store-bought options are readily available, nothing beats the rich and creamy flavor of homemade caramel sauce
The little pinch of salt in this recipe balances the flavors perfectly, so don’t skip it. If you want salted caramel, simply add 1 teaspoon of salt to the recipe.
This caramel sauce requires no candy thermometer. Instead, I encourage you to follow the recipe and use your eyes to determine when to add the next ingredient.
How to make Homemade Caramel Sauce
- To make this homemade caramel sauce there’s only 5 ingredients required: sugar, butter, heavy cream, vanilla extract and salt.
- The first step is to melt sugar, which is called caramelization. This requires 1 small pot or pan and a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula. Stir until melted. It’ll start to clump together first, then you’ll notice it start to melt. The color will turn to a deeper amber color and you should notice a nutty aroma. It’ll happen quickly. If you let it go too long, it’ll burn.
- You need medium-high high heat. Because if you melt the sugar on too high a heat, it will probably burn.
- As soon as it turns amber, you add the next ingredient, butter. When the butter has melted stir or whisk the melted sugar with the butter until well combined. Add heavy cream and continue to whisk. Then let it boil for 1 minute. Finally, add the salt and vanilla extract. That’s it, the caramel is done!
- The caramel thickens as it cools. After the caramel cools down, pour it into a glass jar or container. The caramel solidifies as it cools, but you can reheat in the microwave or in a water-bath to make it more drizzle-able.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.
The silky smooth texture and deep caramel flavor of this sauce will elevate your desserts and beverages to a whole new level. With just a handful of ingredients and a little bit of patience, you can enjoy the delightful taste of homemade caramel sauce anytime you desire.
So, the next time you’re craving a touch of sweetness, skip the store-bought options and whip up a batch of homemade caramel sauce. Your taste buds will thank you, and you’ll never want to go back to the pre-packaged alternatives again. Enjoy!
If you liked Homemade Caramel Sauce, you may also like: