The Healthy Lentils and Chickpeas Stew is a delightful and wholesome dish that satisfies both your taste buds and nutritional needs. With its generous supply of plant-based protein, dietary fiber, and tantalizing blend of spices, this stew proves that healthy eating can be both delicious and enjoyable.
Healthy Lentils and Chickpea Stew is easy and quick to make since it only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. The great thing with red lentils, in addition to other lentils is that you only need to cook it for 12 minutes.
I choose canned chickpeas for their quick and easy preparation in this recipe. If you prefer to cook chickpeas from scratch, it’s important to note that the dry chickpeas will roughly double in weight once they are cooked. To obtain 250g (8.8 oz) of cooked chickpeas, you’ll need to cook approximately 125g (4.4 oz) of dried chickpeas.
How to make Healthy Lentils and Chickpeas Stew
- Rinse the lentils and remove any that are odd.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 3 -4 minutes until the onions turn translucent. Then add the pressed garlic and grated ginger and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Next, add the spices. Toast the spices for about 1 minute to allow the flavours to enhance.
- Finally, add hot water, lentils, stock cubes and crunched tomato. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and let it simmer for about 12 minutes or until the lentils are tender and cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. If the stew is too thick, you can always add some extra hot water.
- Remove the pot from heat and add the Chickpeas, lime juice, baby spinach and cilantro.
- Let the stew sit for a few minutes to cool slightly and allow the flavours to meld together.
I always add a little feta piece on the side, because I just love the combination of this spicy stew with the salty feta cheese. The combination Spicy red lentils and chickpea stew with feta is unbeatable. Try it !
This Healthy Lentils and Chickpeas Stew is a satisfying and nourishing dish that will keep you warm and full. Packed with protein, fiber, and an array of spices, it’s a perfect option for a healthy weeknight dinner or a cozy weekend meal. Give it a try and savor the delicious flavors that this stew has to offer.
If you liked Healthy Lentils and Chickpeas Stew, you may also like: